Photobucket

Sunday, October 23, 2011

How to frighten your friend on a boring weekend

So, you wanna scare your friend this weekend? And you are wondering how to do that. Well, here is an idea. During my summer internship, I was trying out VNC on various machines including my android phone and an android tablet. That is when I found this out -



What you need is a VNC server and a client. On my ubuntu machine I had installed tightvncserver and xtightvncviewer. What we could do is use the vnc server to start a new X session. For those of you totally new to many such things, 


1) To install tightvncserver do a

Code:
sudo apt-get install tightvncserver

Similarly install xtightvncviewer.


2) Set up your vnc password by doing a

Code:
tightvncpasswd


Set your password and then

3) Start the new X session in a different display by doing

Code:
tightvncserver :1

4) Next, in order to view the session you created you need to use vnc viewer. For this do

Code:
xtightvncviewer :1

Type in your password and then you should have a window which shows your desktop.
Find below a screen shot I took of my office screen with two viewers open side by side for the same new session ( I soo miss the huge monitor :| )


So now, all you need to do to scare your friend, is some how sneak up one day, download a scary mp3 on his computer and may be setup a cronjob to start the vncserver, and then run the mp3 in the :1 display. Do tell me if you try this out or you have a better way to spook your friend ;)

1 comment:

  1. A better way : Tell the friend that the author of this post will kill him unless he says sorry.

    ReplyDelete